Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Episyrphus balteatus with dark markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoverles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Episyrphus balteatus with dark markings Reply with quote

Hi, I recently photographed this unusually marked Marmalade Hoverfly. It's the only one I have seen with these dark markings, so I would value any opinion or comment.

Thanks
Les.
John O'Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fine picture, Les, and that's certainly a strikingly dark and unusual individual. I have personally never seen one like it, though the species is so variable that we probably shouldn't be surprised at anything turning up, from virtually black to almost unbarred orange. I for one would always be interested to see the more extreme examples that people have managed to photograph. Plus, maybe someone who knows more about the genetics, and the variations caused by temperature, for instance, would like to contribute to this thread.
Regards,
John
hoverles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John. I still continue to see this species, though non as dark as that one. Some have no white bands, others have various width black bars only that are uneven at the edges and fade into the orange.

Of all the hoverflies I have observed this year at my local eco park, this is the only one showing any variation which, I assume, is due to temperature.

I must submit my records! In the meantime, still abundant at this time is Melanostoma scalare and Syrphus species, with Episyrphus balteatus well represented. I'm out tomorrow and Sunday, so it will be interesting to see what's about now.

I agree, it would be interesting to see other peoples examples of variation in Episyrphus balteatus, and info from people with knowledge regarding temperature effects on the species, and genetics.

Regards
Les.
Birderfirst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Marmalade hoverfly Reply with quote

I took a photo of a darkly marked specimen on 1/08/2008 near home (Sywell Northants NN6). I have looked at a lot of E. balteatus this summer but have also never seen such a dark specimen.

Apologies for quality of photo!

Regards, Jim D.
hoverles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Marmalade hoverfly Reply with quote

Thanks for post and picture, Jim.

I understand this dark colouration is due to temperature, but why then have I seen only a single specimen? Are other species effected? Maybe someone more knowledgeable has some answers?

Just to note. My picture was taken in Rotherhithe, London, SE16, on 20th Sept.

Les.
robinsects

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides dark specimens also seeing particulalry glossy ones
roth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Melanic or intersex E.balteatus. Reply with quote

This one was photographed in my garden in Mossbank, Shetland Isles, on
18th August 2008. I sent it off to Diptera info website forum who described as being intersex. I also sent it to my local insect website,Nature in Shetland,who described it as melanic.
Regards Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: