Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Parataxonomists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Useful information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Parataxonomists Reply with quote

If you look at the maps you might spot a 10km square close to you that has very few records. How about trying to fill in some gaps by visiting a favourite site within that square? You don't need to be an expert if you are willing to collect material.

Samples collected from a site on a particular day (kill them by placing pots in the freezer overnight) can then be sent to me and I will identify them and add the data to the database. The information we need are date of capture, site name, grid reference (4 figure) and recorder.

This is potentially a useful way of gathering new data and can be done in other ways e.g. gathering up specimens that become trapped in windows or greenhouses (like a Malaise trap).

If anyone is potentially interested do let me know.

Roger
John O'Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Roger. By the way, some fluorescent lights (with diffusers) act as effective traps. You can see the dead insects inside. A cleaner or handyperson might agree to bag up the contents! The only challenge is an exact date, but, depending on standards of cleanliness, at least the year should be determinable! I got a record of Chrysotoxum verralli this way last year...

Happy cleaning!

John
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Parataxonomists Reply with quote

Good point John - some years ago I worked my way through the contents of an electrocutor positioned in a stable - lots of E. tenax but a few more interesting records - anyone with access to these beasts would be welcome to take a look or pass on to me.

Regards

Roger
mpewtress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Although my primary interest when I came to the HRS website was to identify insects that I had photographed, I have quickly come to realise that even from a good photograph it is not always possible to identify the species correctly. To my mind this is very frustrating.
Whilst I pride myself in taking photos of creatures 'in the wild' my growing fascination with hoverflies has led me to think that I might have to readdress my thinking. By capturing the insects, I would then be able to photograph them in a controlled environment (which would lead to better lighting conditions and eliminate the movement of the plants on which the insects were feeding or resting - which can be incredibly annoying). If, after studying them at close quarters, I was still not convinced of an identification I would like to be able to have an expert - such as yourself? - who could assist me in such matters.
As much of my fieldwork would be done from home, this would assist the records for NS75 - which from your postcode distribution (ML2) shows up only 5 results and I'm sure that I've already found more than that in my back garden.
I guess what I would like to know is:
* The best way to collect hoverflies and to keep them (alive) for a short while.
* Whether your freezer suggestion is the recommended course of action.
* Who to send specimens to for identification.
* How best to send them

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
-Mark

Ps. Good luck with the new book

conopid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mark,
Keeping hoverflies alive is straight forward, keep them in a decent sized container, with some tissue inside that they can cling to. Then be careful to keep the container out of sunlight which can rapidly overheat and kill them. On returning home, to keep them still for photography, one can resort to putting them in a fridge (not freezer) for a few minutes.

The simplest and kindest way to kill specimens for microscopic examination is to put them in a freezer. There are a number of people who would be happy to be mailed specimens for determination. Roger often offers to do this, and I am happy to receive specimens too. Just contact us via the email contact function on this site.

It's best to post specimens in a small, sturdy container that won't crush easily. Place tissue in the bottom of the container, then the specimens, then more tissue over the top -this protects them from breaking up in transit. put a label with locality details inside the container. If sending specimens from more than one locality, place them in envelopes for each locality. The small wage packet envelopes from stationers are ideal for this. I'd be happy to mail back specimens with ID labels as references to help you along with identifying them in future.

Best wishes

mpewtress

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this Nigel.
As soon as it stops raining...

Will be in touch.
Regards,
-Mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Useful information All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: