Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Ectemnius cavifrons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaybee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Ectemnius cavifrons Reply with quote

Brian you were bang on the money regards my last post about hoverfly corpses in dead wood.
I did keep one of the cocoons in a tub and lo and behold it "gave birth" Smile
I would have normally let the thing go but I'm afraid intrigue got the better of me.
After a few minutes in the freezer I took a few close ups.
Forgive the quality of photos - I bought a microscope about 6 months ago to use during the winter months but this is the first time I have used it.
I'm sure I'll improve and learn to give everything a good dusting before shooting photos - magnified dust in the photos is an issue Smile
My mistake also (though I didn't realize at the time) was not putting pupa in a clean container - when the wasp hatched all of the debris in the tub stuck to it's hair etc Sad
So a few photos that may be of interest and which show I hope species to be correct as per your prediction.
I did work out it was a female Smile
I guess it also answers the question if it over winters as a pupa.

Brian & Stephanie Lit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looks like it Jaybee, well done. there are two other possibilities with golden haired clypeaus lapidarius and sexcinctus -female. I copied the link to Mike Edwards who is an expert this is his reply. If you kept the 'grub' it will rear through as an inchneumonid, the red pupae as Mike lists. I can advise on who to send the parasitoid to if it reared through. It would be good if you could post the record data and I'l (or you) can pass it on to BWARS.

You are right about an Ectemnius -species is any guess. The larva is probably an ichneumonid and the Diptera cocoon a Miltogramine Sarcophagid, Macronichia - a well known predator in Ectemnius- (species unknown)- Steve Falk would be interested in the reared record.

Best wishes

Mike
Jaybee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I had a look at the same dead trunk (stump) today hoping for a few photos of critters.
Unfortunately high winds, rain, snow and bitterly cold conditions forced me into submission.
I do know however that there are still quite a few of the wasp cocoons in the wood and several red cocoons (pic below)
Provided the weather is half decent I'll pop back tomorrow and collect some of each.
If you can then ask relevant people to email me (after I post on here any successful gathering) I can happily post relevant cocoons off to the relevant people.
Email is jaybeeATnortheastwildlife.co.uk (replace AT with @)
Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: