Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Submitting records to the Hoverfly Recording Scheme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Submitting records to the Hoverfly Recording Scheme Reply with quote

The Scheme relies entirely on information submitted by volunteers. If you would like to submit your observations, the information we need for each observation is as follows:
  • Name of the species. Ideally use the name from the checklist on this web-site, but we can deal with names from any recognised checklist - providing you tell us which one you are using.
  • Date of the observation. e.g. 13/04/2003
  • Grid reference. This is by far the best way of indicating where you made the observation. Please be as accurate as is feasible given the map or GPS you are using, but on the other hand there is little point giving a very accurate grid reference if you have wandered around a large area and your observations could come from anywhere within it. Ideally, give a 6-figure reference (e.g. TL108982).
  • Location name. The name of the site you visited. Ideally use a name that appears on the OS Landranger (1:50,000) maps since that can then be cross-checked against the grid ref. via the OS Gazetteer. If you know you were on a nature reserve or protected site of some sort, it helps to use its recognised name (e.g. Castor Hanglands NNR).
  • Vice-county. The Watsonian vice-county system, devised in the mid 19th century, is widely used for biological recording because the boundaries of vice-counties are fixed and well known - unlike modern local authority boundaries which are subject to frequent change. Giving both the grid reference and the vice-county allows for useful cross-checking.
  • Recorder's name. The name of the person who made the observation.
  • Determiner's name. The name of the person who identified the hoverfly, if different from the recorder (e.g. somebody who later checked the identity of a photograph or specimen).
  • Other information. There are many other details which can make a record more useful. How many individuals were about? This can be useful even if it is quite general (e.g. "few", "many"). What were they doing? Records of the flowers visited by hoverflies are always useful as are records of behaviour like courtship or egg laying. What was the habitat like? Try and be specific.

Many people keep there records on some form of computerised system these days and records in computerised format are very welcome. See the postings below for advice on how to submit in a variety of common formats.

If you prefer to submit records on paper, then a recording card is available. But, if you just make notes in your field note book, we will be happy to receive a photo-copy - providing they are legible!

Last edited by stuart on Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
AngieT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

As far as I am aware we only have the very common hovers in our garden, which is the only place I go to observe them. Is there any point in my submitting records of them? Question
Tony White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Submitting records to the recording scheme Reply with quote

Hi Angie,

It may seem a bit tedious submitting records of widespread and commonplace spp but I think that they should be forwarded to Stuart at least once per year. In that way it will be possible to quickly highlight those "common" species which are. for some reason, having a bad year. For example, have the catastrophic floods in some areas affected those species with larvae of the "rat-tailed maggot" type?. My garden was so flooded that they'd have needed breathing tubes a metre or more long!

Tony White
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Submitting records Reply with quote

Hello Angie

As Tony rightly points out - even common species are useful - the problem is that people treat recording schemes as dot map producers - but actually a great deal more can be done with data. For example we have a pretty good picture of how climate change is affecting several species including the likes of common species such as Epistrophe eligans - yet if we don't get records we cannot do as much.

Equally - we might pick up crashes through absence of records but would miss them if no-one thought common species to be worth noting. A good ecxample might be Volucella zonaria - if we get a series of bad winters it could easily contract its range and yet we would not know unless we have a network of regular recorders - so - your records are very useful. However, care needed with tricky species - so do send material to me for checking.

Regards

Roger
Dormouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had my first hoverfly ided today - Rhingia campestris. Very Happy

If I still only have the one record at the end of the year are you still interested? And would you like me to post the image here so some of your chaps can confirm it's id (although the person who ided it is probably a member Laughing )

Dormouse
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

We are always interested in records provided they can be veified. In the case of common species, these are actually quite useful. For example, we know a lot about Rhingia campestris because we have lots of records.

That said, we are also keen to see more difficult species - specimens always welcome - I'll ID them

Regards

Roger
Dormouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger. I'll post the pictures in the id forum for you and then you know it will be acurately verified. The images aren't that good but I think his nose gives him away. Wink

Have already set up my excel database using the headings above so all ready to get some more!

DM
Dippynev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: i Spot Reply with quote

Hi Roger
If I've submitted a photo on iSpot does that get transferred to the recording scheme automatically or do I need to submit a record separately?
What about I record?
Cheers
Nev
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nev

I extract all records from iSpot so there is no need to do any more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: