You can register for FREE

Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Video recording as a more versatile way to identify species.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougarts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Video recording as a more versatile way to identify species. Reply with quote

Having read how many recorders agonize about killing specimens in order to ascertain the species beyond doubt, perhaps in some cases killing might not be necessary if we make greater use of video recording of species.

My Panasonic camera, can record video in ultra high definition. With it given a willing subject I can sometimes record it at many different angles: face on; side on and top (underside is not so easy). My software then allows me to 'freeze' any number of frames to produce still images. Just think how much easier identification could be given this technology.
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, for those poor sould who have to do the identification video is an even worse medium. We then have to try to take screen shots and check charceters - adds greatly to out time and as shots are often blurred we stand no better chance of providing an ID.
dougarts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comment Roger. On reflection, close up video is fiendishly difficult when specimens are moving - as live insects have the habit of doing. There is no magic bullet so perhaps it is wishful thinking but the challenge of taking enough video of a particular hoverfly, spider, bee sufficient to make a usable sequence keeps me outside for much longer than would otherwise be the case. So that is good enough reason to do it and the bonus comes when you are able to identify a specimen from it. I will keep trying.
AngieT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: My way of photographing them Reply with quote

Excuse me for adding to this conversation so late.
As a very amateur recorder I could never hope to get a moving picture of any insect! So, what I do is, if a hoverfly is happy to be caught in a jam jar, I then put my camera's lens right up against the top of the jar. This keeps the hoverfly in the jar and it is easy to focus on the area where the insect is. Then I put the jar on top of my recycling bin, which creates a nice neutral background. Not as artistic as getting a picture of the critter on a flower, but at least it is nothing like as horrible as killing it to take the photos.
dougarts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My way of photographing them Reply with quote

AngieT wrote:
As a very amateur recorder I could never hope to get a moving picture of any insect! So, what I do is, if a hoverfly is happy to be caught in a jam jar, I then put my camera's lens right up against the top of the jar. .

Your method Angie seems to be safe but just as hard to get good shots and of course to capture and relocate a willing insect. You might perhaps try setting your camera to do burst shots which means taking multiple shots of the subject with one click. That way you can sometimes get both surprising and interesting results. This does however require time to select a few good ones and delete the rest.
dougarts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My way of photographing them Reply with quote

AngieT wrote:
As a very amateur recorder I could never hope to get a moving picture of any insect! So, what I do is, if a hoverfly is happy to be caught in a jam jar, I then put my camera's lens right up against the top of the jar. .

Your method Angie seems to be safe but just as hard to get good shots and of course to capture and relocate a willing insect. You might perhaps try setting your camera to do burst shots which means taking multiple shots of the subject with one click. That way you can sometimes get both surprising and interesting results. Editing your list of photos afterwards does however require time to select a few good ones and delete the rest.
Jullo01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Video recording as a more versatile way to identify spec Reply with quote

dougarts wrote:
Having read how many recorders agonize about killing specimens in order to ascertain the species beyond doubt, perhaps in some cases killing might not be necessary if we make greater use of video recording of species.

My Panasonic camera, can record video in ultra high definition. With it given a willing subject I can sometimes meilleur crédit record it at many different angles: face on; side on and top (underside is not so easy). My software then allows me to 'freeze' any number of frames to produce still images. Just think how much easier identification could be given this technology.

Lucky you Mad
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably worth noting that although a proportion of species can be identified from photographs, many can only be done from a squence that depict several angles at high resolution and sharpness (i'.e often stackshots). There are some genera that will never be reliably identified from photos because they depend upon examination of features within the male genital capsule or on other microscopic features that can rarely (if ever) be captured on screen.

These complications mean that retaining specimens is often necessary to make sure one has covered the full range of species. We are finding that the dataset is becoming increasingly skewed by the lack of specimen retention and in the long-term this may mean that conservation professionals will be unable to determine species statuses or to take the necessary action to try to arrest declines (about 40% of hoverflies are declining significantly).
JewelHuber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On cogitation, close up video is confounding troublesome when models are moving - as live bugs have the tendency for doing. There is no appeal shot so maybe it is doubtful reasoning in any case the preliminary of taking enough video of a specific hoverfly, horrendous little animal, honey bee adequate to make a usable course of action keeps me outside for any more drawn out than would somehow be the condition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: