Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 305 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:39 am

Cheilosia grossa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Cheilosia grossa Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how up-to-date the species maps are? I have some records of the above species from Hereford and I'm trying to find out if these are new for the county as indicated on the distribution map.

Thanks in advance...
conopid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Cheilosia grossa Reply with quote

Hi,
I think the maps are bang up to date. I sent in all my 2006 records a couple of weeks ago and they are already displaying on the maps. So you probably have a first record for C grossa in Herefordshire, if it is not displayed on the maps.

I find that C grossa is quite an elusive fly, so it would not be surprising if it had not previously been recorded from Herefordshire, which is quite an under recorded county, just like next door Shropshire, where I do most of my recording.

Out of interest and from a "border syrphidologists" point of view, are you resident in Herefordshire?

Chris S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nigel,

I'm based in Hertfordshire I'm afraid. The records come from the Rothamsted Insect Survey 40' suction trap at the ADAS site near Hereford.

We've recorded more than 100 C. grossa this year from across the country, I'll submit the records once I'm sure they've stoppped coming in (had another in the Silwood Park trap today).

Cheers,
Chris
conopid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Cheilosia grossa Reply with quote

Over 100 records for C grossa! Thats marvellous and will make a huge difference to the recorded coverage for this species. Have you had much else of note? Very Happy
Chris S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so far this year. Usually we only record the presence of hoverflies without any further identification. The only reason I looked any closer at these was because so many were turning up. I'll post any other interesting records here as and when.

Cheers,
Chris
conopid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you send the unidentified hoverflies to any one? If there are not too many, I wouldn't mind taking a look at some to see what is there. If there are very many, then maybe other recording scheme members would take some as well? Seems a shame to waste some potential records.

Nigel

Chris S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid we can't send them out, all our samples (dating back to the early 1970s) are stored (in alcohol with glycerol), if anyone wants to come & look I'm sure we'd be able to come to some sort of arrangement though.
conopid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah!
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the section above each map there is an indication of when the dataset was updated. We do this every time a significant block of data arrives. Otherwise there will be updates when I manage to compile small blocks of data into something a bit more significant or have done sufficient recording to justify a personal fownload (about every 500 records).

Herefordshire is extremely poorly recorded and I've been making visits fairly regularly to address the problem. I've spent two weekends this year but have not seen C. grossa - there have been several locations for C. albipila.

I'd like to take a look at the stored material - could I collect it and then return it at some later date?

Regards

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: