Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 305 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:39 am

submitting records and postcodes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeremyR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: submitting records and postcodes Reply with quote

I looked up the species list here for my postcode Tottenham N17 and noticed some species missing which I've seen this year, eg. Scaeva selenitica. How can I add them to the scheme and see them on my postcode list. I have photos and all the details?

Jeremy
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy

Data need to be supplied as spreadsheets to me - I will evaluate them and then pass on to Stuart for entry (uploading) into the database. I have extracted all of the data you have placed on I-spot this year, so assuming they are there, then provided I agree with the ID they will get onto the database at the end of this year. Once with Stuart the chances are that the database will be updated around 2 weeks later.I only send the spreadsheet of web-based records across once a year so as to minimise duplications and also to minimise pain as they can be tricky to upload (tend to be pretty error-prone with grid references as quite a number of I-spot recorders chose a locality and allocate all records to that point with differing site names). So far this year I have extracted around 3,200 records from all soures and reckon the final tally for the year will be nearer 4,000.

As a general point about data submission, we upload all data but will mark some records as requiring confirmation if we feel necessary (we do get some dodgy ones such as montane species in the lowlands). If records concern me I may ask for voucher specimens - you'd be amazed how many Sphaerophoria and Cheilosia records we get that just don't fit - they are almost invariably done by matching pictures and not following keys!

Finally, we do encourage recorders to maintain a log of all records and not just the scarce species or first and last records. This is because we can do a great deal more with complete datasets as they are helpful in developing trend analysis and year-on-year change analysis. This is important for the pollinator studies that various Universities are doing and for the biodiversity analysis that Stuart does for Defra. This approach is not intuitive if one thinks of a recfording scheme as simply the production of dot maps - schemes have moved on and the one we run now holds sufficient data for a period of 36 consecutive years that it can be used in many ways. This means that hoverflies are firmly on the horizons of Defra and the conservation agencies as a tool for monitoring environmental change.

Regards

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: