Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Rhingia campestrisi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaybee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Rhingia campestrisi Reply with quote

Your comments on the facebook group re: Rhingia campestrisi are interesting.
I have been overrun with them in several locations and they are still around in numbers here on the east coast.

Noteable hot spot late into July was Druridge, Northumberland where I estimate anywhere up to 50 could be seen together on the pathway down to the bird hide (NZ 27331 96647)
Earlier in the year 20-30 were in one gorse bush at Howlea lane near Hamsterly (NZ 09558 34604)
Locally I have had far more this year than I remember seeing last year though that could be a case of looking harder this year.
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. If you have dates for records then they would be useful. I think the likely explanation is something of a North-South divide - I suspect in cooler northern and western England numbers are fine but we have few recorders, whereas in SE England where the bulk of recorders are, numbers are not good - but then it is always possible that people just don't bother photographing them - I'd find that a bit surprising as many of the records come from people who are photographers first and recorders second.

I really must find a student to take this one on next year!

Best wishes

Roger
Jaybee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger K.A. Morris wrote:
Thanks John. If you have dates for records then they would be useful. I think the likely explanation is something of a North-South divide - I suspect in cooler northern and western England numbers are fine but we have few recorders, whereas in SE England where the bulk of recorders are, numbers are not good - but then it is always possible that people just don't bother photographing them - I'd find that a bit surprising as many of the records come from people who are photographers first and recorders second.

I really must find a student to take this one on next year!

Best wishes

Roger

Pretty much all posted on Submit records over the year Roger
01/07/2014 post for one visit to Druridge, one photo showing 4 on spear thistle (There were 9 on there but 5 left before photo.)
Also post "Rhingia campestris - male and female" from Howlea lane where gorse bush was literally covered in them.

I'm seeing them maybe 3 out of 5 days out.

Last one posted in "Period ending 30/07/2014"
Cliff Raby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rhingia campestrisi Reply with quote

Jaybee wrote:
Your comments on the facebook group re: Rhingia campestrisi are interesting

Facebook you say Jaybee - I'm sure when we spoke on the phone not too many weeks ago, well you may not have said 'over my dead body' but I'm sure you were set against it. Or am I getting it mixed up with Twitter?

I'm not on Facebook myself, I've not got the face for it - but Twitter I do use occasionally - & I think an HRS account on there would soon become very popular.

Sorry to interrupt your Rhingia campestrisi exchange BTW.

Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cliff

An interesting idea about Twitter - that is one I'm not on! I won't say never, but I think I might need to be cloned if Twitter was to become another medium for monitoring - I'm already stretched to the limit dealing with the flow of records through Facebook (not that I'm complaining)

Regards

Roger
Jaybee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rhingia campestrisi Reply with quote

Cliff Raby wrote:
Jaybee wrote:
Your comments on the facebook group re: Rhingia campestrisi are interesting

Facebook you say Jaybee - I'm sure when we spoke on the phone not too many weeks ago, well you may not have said 'over my dead body' but I'm sure you were set against it. Or am I getting it mixed up with Twitter?

I'm not on Facebook myself, I've not got the face for it - but Twitter I do use occasionally - & I think an HRS account on there would soon become very popular.

Sorry to interrupt your Rhingia campestrisi exchange BTW.

Had to join unfortunately to view pages from a Coastal Half Marathon I took pictures at.
Once joined I don't think you can leave Smile
Never "liked" a page or made a post.
Told Roger I will only post records on forum as I do still have a life without twitter/facebook etc.
But I do read HRS facebook page to see whats about.
Cliff Raby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger K.A. Morris wrote:
but I think I might need to be cloned if Twitter was to become another medium for monitoring - I'm already stretched to the limit dealing with the flow of records through Facebook

I think you could be right, some of the wildlife accounts on there seem to get flooded with records where folk empty the contents of their cameras memory card straight onto Twitter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: