Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

25/01/2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaybee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: 25/01/2015 Reply with quote

A quick visit to NZ 44370 42273 to collect a couple of pupa found yesterday and samples of hoverfly debris to try and determine species that had been predated on.
Next to the rotten stump is a nice tree with a rot hole between the main branches. Looking through the contents collected in a rot hole isn't something I have done yet so I had a short and not too scientific go at it.
Stirred the water and god knows what else in the hole with a stick and flicked the resultant "soup" up the sides of the hole.
Spotted one larva - whether it's a hover or not I have no idea.
I guess the correct way to do this would be to extract everything out of the hole into a tray of clean water so you could see what was in there.
This is, I suspect, where the "biological recorder" and "photo recorder" follow different paths in that I haven't the energy, inclination or desire to carry trays, nets, notebooks etc everywhere with me for such procedures. My notebook is my camera and everything I see or find is recorded onto memory cards for processing when I get home. Having said that I suppose it is logical for me to start looking in things like rot holes etc to expand my knowledge and personal database.

Rot hole

Unknown larva

Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

Probably a hoverfly larva but possibly actually too great magnification as I cannot be sure whether this one has a tail. In this sort of situation I would expect Myathropa florea.

Regards

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: