Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Volucella zonaria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Gittens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Volucella zonaria Reply with quote

While looking for dragonflies at a site in yorkshire (VC62), I came across a large hornet like insect, which on closer inspection appeared to be the above hoverfly. In fact I saw two!! The weather this year has been good for insect movements have there been any other records for this area?
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Keith

This is a very surprising record as V. zonaria is not really known from Yorkshire (bar a record from S. Yorks). I don't suppose you have a photo or anything like that? Is it possible that itr was V. inanis, which is a shade more likely on the basis of current distribution?

Regards

Roger
Keith Gittens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: V.zonaria Reply with quote

I am no expert on Hoverflies, in fact know very little, what caught my attention was the size of the insect, because I thought it was a hornet. The insect looked heavy in flight, it had distinctive yellow markings with a band of brown. The first insect I saw was in flight and after flying passed me flew up and away. The second insect landed on the underneath of a twig but at distance on some very boggy ground so I could get no closer than about 8ft so had to look through close focusing binoculars at which point i just remember the dipteran like eyes. Looking at V.inanis it appears too small. All I know is I visit alot of ponds etc looking for dragonflies and have not seen anything like it before, I wish now I had got closer and tried to get a photo. I saw the insects on the 15/07/2006, the weather was extremely warm and sunny, the area they were seen in is boggy at the back of a pond and surrounded by mixed woodland. I have been back to the site but not seen any more. Keith
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Keith

Your point about boggy ground suggests to me that actually what you had was likely to be Sericomyia silentis - take a look at relevant piccies - a bit bigger than V. inanis and quite possibly a hornet mimic - habitat and general description of this sounds wrong for V. vonaria

Regards

Roger
Keith Gittens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: V.zonaria Reply with quote

Hello Roger
I do not think we will draw a conclusion to this, some how Sericomyia does not look right, part of the habitat description sounds ok, there are remnants of heathland in the wood, but it is certainly not the uplands of the moors or the pennines. The site is in the Howardian Hills. I will keep my eyes peeled on future visits, as I now find it frustrating not to be able to make a positive id.
Thanks for the info and help.
Keith
groveworks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a specimen of Volucella zonaria (Poda, 1761) in my garden yesterday in the W10 area of London.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: