Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Submitting records on recording cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Submitting records on recording cards Reply with quote

The Hoverfly Recording Scheme has traditionally used the RA33 recording card from BRC. This was produced in 1977 and the checklist it contained was well out of date. It has been out of print for a long time and BRC no longer have any supplies left.

The attached PDF contains a recording card with the same layout as RA33, but with an updated checklist. This is based on Stubbs & Falk 2002, with the addition of Orthonevra intermedia and Trichompsomyia lucida and other subsequent changes to the Diptera checklist published in Dipterists Digest. It also includes a number of aggregate species to cover problems with recent splits:
  • Cheilosia albitarsis agg. - use this for older records which have not been checked for C. ranunculi or for records of females of albitarsis/ranunculi (which cannot be separated).
  • Heringia heringi agg. - use this for older records which have not been checked for H. senilis or for records of females of heringi/senilis (which cannot be separated).
  • Melangyna compositarum/labiatarum - use this if you cannot separate these two species (which are dubiosly distinct!).
  • Microdon mutabilis agg. - use this for older records which have not been checked for M. myrmicae or for records of adults (which cannot be separated - M. myrmicae and M. mutabilis can only be seperated as mature larvae or puparia).
  • Platycheirus clypeatus agg. - use this for older records which have not been checked for P. europaeus, P. occultus or P. ramsarensis.
  • Platycheirus peltatus agg. - use this for older records which have not been checked for P. amplus or P. nielseni.
  • Platycheirus scutatus agg. - use this for older records which have not been checked for P. aurolateralis or P. splendidus.
  • Syrphus vitripennis agg. - use this for older records which have not been checked for S. rectus of for records of males of rectus/vitripennis (which cannot be separated).

Last edited by stuart on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
stuart
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: HRS Recording card Reply with quote

I have updated the PDF.

The updated version has a few corrections in the checklist which I have spotted, or have been pointed out by others:
  • I included Platycheirus cyaneus - this is a synonym of P. albimanus, not a seperate species,
  • Eumerus tuberculatus should be E. funeralis,
  • Some changes in Eristalis due to ICZN Opinion 2153, are noted in the "Corrections and Changes to the Diptera Checklist (15)" in Dipterists Digest 13(1): 11-18:
    • Eristalis interrupta goes back to E. nemorum,
    • E. abusivus should be E. abusiva
    • and E. intricarius should be E. intricaria
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: