Search

Advanced Search

Who is Online

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 248 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Hoverflies on Banstead Downs (Surrey) 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Common-side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Hoverflies on Banstead Downs (Surrey) 1 Reply with quote

I have been trying to keep a record of the hoverflies I am seeing on my irregular walks over Banstead Downs in Surrey. Most I have managed put names against with the aid of this wed site and others. I have attached two for which I am less certain.
The first taken on the 10th of May and I assume from its orange colour is a species of Epistrophe but I am not sure which.
Question
conopid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like Epistrophe grossulariae, but it might just be the less common E diaphana - difficult to say from the photo. 90% chance that its E grossulariae though.
John O'Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of time has gone by, but can we look again at this one? On my monitor the antennae look rather yellow (with a black arista). If that is indeed what colour they are, then the identification goes off down a different route in the key (in Stubbs & Falk 2002). And again if so, the frons pattern of this female is not really right for the common nitidicollis, but looks rather more like their melanostoma (which is, interestingly, "mainly centred on Surrey").

I'd better venture no further, as I regret to say that I have not seen this species, nor Doros profuges. (And I grew up next to Banstead Downs, too...).

Were the antennae yellow, Common-side, and do you have your own theory? And what do others think - the author of "Hoverflies of Surrey" in particular, perhaps?

John
Common-side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that at the time I thought (hoped) it was melanostoma. There is a picture submitted by Chris Webster in the Album section which is a very convincing likeness with my specimen. Antenna colour is difficult; I only have the image to go by but I think it is yellow.

The picture album is a good resource but would be better if it were easier to search effectively.
conopid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree, looking at the posterior end of the yellow belts on the abdomen this could be an Epistrophe other than E. grossulariae. As to specific species, without the specimen, I fear it will not be possible to say definitively which species it is. Sad
Roger K.A. Morris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best you can say is that it is in the nitidicollis/melanostoma group. You also need to be able to look at the scutellar hairs.

Regards

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hoverfly Recording Scheme Forum Index -> Submit records All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: